AnotherVoice

Waxahachie, Texas, March 29, 2005 -- Believing what I was raised to hold sacred, that every voice counts, I've bombarded my local paper for years with letters and op-eds (and been active in politics). Yet here in the heart of everyone's favorite "red state," where it's especially important that another voice be heard, no one seemed to be listening. This is my megaphone.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Abraham Lincoln redux?

Following a comment by Doris Kearns Goodwin on Russert last night, I did a little checking on Wikipedia and picked up more details.

I learned that Abraham Lincoln, beginning in 1834 at the age of 25, served four terms in the Illinois state legislature and then one term in the US House of Representatives, from 1846-48.

After taking a few years off from politics, he next ran for office against Stephen A. Douglas for the US Senate in 1858, winning lots of attention and respect but not the seat.

Such was his experience in elective office before he became President in 1860.

Anyone in particular this might make you think of?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters